- What Is Clear Eyebrow Gel?
- Best Clear Eyebrow Gels Reviews
- Anastasia Beverly Hills – Tinted Brow Gel In Clear
- NYX Professional Makeup Control Freak Eyebrow Gel – Clear
- NYX Professional Makeup The Brow Glue, Extreme Hold Eyebrow Gel
- Maybelline Great Lash Washable Mascara – Clear
- DAGEDA Clear Eyebrow Setting Gel, 2 Pack Clear
- Maybelline Brow Fast Sculpt – Clear
- Wet n Wild BrowSessive Brow Shaping Gel – Clear
- L’Oreal Paris Cosmetics Brow Stylist Boost and Set Brow Mascara – Clear
- Almay Eyebrow Styler – Clear
- Chella Eyebrow Defining Gel – Clear
- Buyer’s Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
Even well-groomed eyebrows need a little help now and then. It doesn’t matter if you sculpt your brows into thin arches or if you grow them into full and bushy ones.
Stray or longer hairs can cross out of the shape you wanted, ruining how your brows look.
To counter this, you may have tried trimming your brow hairs or removing the hair entirely. However, if you prefer bushier brows, trimming makes brow hairs shorter, which can make brows seem less full and dense.
Even if you like thin brows, removing hairs with tweezers or wax can make the follicle thinner over time, so you may lose the strands entirely.
Luckily, there’s a product that can help keep your brows in check! Clear eyebrow gel will keep scraggly hairs in place, keeping your brows neat and groomed.
These gels can also brush your hair up for fluffy brows that look great over typical drugstore eyebrow pencils. Some of these can also double up to tame flyaway hairs or be used as a clear mascara.
Several brands have versions of clear eyebrow gel, so it can be hard to know which one you should buy. To make it easier to choose one of your own, we’ve scoured the net to find the best clear eyebrow gels available to purchase.
If you keep reading, you’ll also find our buyer’s guide. This is filled with information about how to select the right clear eyebrow gel for you.
What Is Clear Eyebrow Gel?
Clear eyebrow gels are applied to eyebrow hairs to keep them in place. These formulas don’t apply any color, which makes them suitable for all hair colors and textures.
These look similar to mascara tubes, as they come with a spoolie within a gel solution. You can apply clear brow gel to clean eyebrow hairs or use them alongside brow makeup to make eyebrows look thicker.
Best Clear Eyebrow Gels Reviews
Known for their high-quality brow products, Anastasia Beverly Hills is a brand that never disappoints. Their tinted brow gel is available in many shades, but their clear one has many advantages.
The colorless formula is suitable for all hair shades and textures. It dries completely clear, without leaving any visible residue.
The brush itself applies the right amount of product, not too much or too little. The spoolie isn’t too small or too big, letting users control where they want to apply the solution.
Anastasia Beverly Hills promises that their lightweight gel sets unruly hairs in place without making them feel stiff or frozen.
- Lightweight formula
- Precise brush for maximum control
- No leftover residue
- Little conditioning ingredients
NYX’s Control Freak Clear Eyebrow Gel only needs one coat to hold brow hairs in place. Eyebrow hairs are set without a sticky feeling. The formula dries clear with a matte finish.
This is a great multitasker, as the spoolie’s size doubles up as a mascara brush. The formula is vegan and acknowledged by Peta as cruelty-free.
NYX promises that their eyebrow gel lasts all day, providing long-lasting control. This product lasts for 6 months once opened. As you only need one coat to set your brows, one tube should last you a while.
- Vegan, cruelty-free formula
- Non-sticky solution
- Some users noticed flaking once solution had dried
- Brush isn’t precise, may coat brows with more product than desired
Aptly named after glue, NYX’s The Brow Glue in clear promises extreme hold for up to 16 hours. This solution dries clear with a nice shiny finish.
The brush is round and small in size, allowing users to evenly coat hair with ease.
The formula itself is non-sticky and completely clear. NYX promises that their product won’t leave any flakes or residue behind.
- Vegan, cruelty-free
- Small, precise brush for greater control
- 16-hour long-lasting hold
- Not waterproof
This is described as a mascara, but Maybelline’s clear formula is known by many as a great brow gel. Their classic Great Lash brush is the perfect size for both brows and lashes.
The formula promises to condition and thicken hairs, without becoming cakey or gloopy.
Despite being labeled as a mascara, several users said that it worked well as an eyebrow gel, keeping any brow pencil or eyebrow pomade in place. The solution is also hypoallergenic, suitable for contact lens wearers.
- Multitasking product for brows and lashes
- Conditioning ingredients
- Not cruelty-free
Packed with conditioning ingredients, DAGEDA’s clear brow gel moisturizes brow hairs from root to tip. Vitamin E, natural beeswax, and jojoba oil are all mild and non-irritating. This organic solution nourishes both eyebrows and the skin beneath.
The long and thin 360° head applies the gel to all parts of the brow, keeping any stray hairs in place. Its thick waterproof formula makes eyebrows seem more bushy and voluminous.
Two vials come in a pack, so these brow gels will last you a long time.
- Two products are good value
- Packed with conditioning ingredients
- Formula may be too thick for some, causing build-up
Maybelline’s Brow Sculpt is available in many shades, but their clear one is suitable for all hair colors and textures. The brush is small, allowing users to apply the product in the inner corners and tail end of their brows.
Maybelline promises that their brow gel will stay in place, lasting up to 7 hours. The formula is semi-waterproof, dries quickly, and washes off easily at the end of the day. This product is also ophthalmologist tested, so it’s perfectly safe to apply in the eye area.
- Mini brush allows greater control
- Easily washed off
- Some users said brush picked up too much formula
Wet n Wild’s Brow Shaping Gel is not only great value, it’s also an amazing treat for your brows. The tiny spoolie picks up just enough product to keep your hairs in place. The formula is lightweight and flexible, offering hold all day without feeling stiff.
The transparent gel dries down clear and doesn’t flake off once set, giving you full and bushy brows. Wet n Wild also promises that their product is cruelty-free and is never tested on animals.
- Lasts a long time
- Product dries down completely clear
- Some said formula dried down too soft
Described as a brow mascara, L’Oreal Paris’s brow gel has a thin and long wand. This product is different from others, as the wand itself is angled, allowing users to accurately control where they apply the formula.
L’Oreal Paris describes their products as a mousse formula. This thicker solution works well with the thin brush, as it doesn’t pick up too much product. The solution is ophthalmologist tested, so it is perfectly safe for contact lens wearers and sensitive eyes.
- Thin, angled brush allows greater control
- Ophthalmologist tested, safe for sensitive eyes
- Thick formula may build up on brow hairs
Almay’s clear eyebrow gel has several advantages. Compared to other brushes, the spoolie is long and very thin. This brush coats every brow hair while allowing you to concentrate the product on specific areas.
The formula itself contains conditioning ingredients, like marula oil, which nourish brow hairs and the skin beneath. Almay claims that their brow gel is hypoallergenic and ophthalmologist tested, so it’s safe for sensitive eyes and those who wear contact lenses.
- Conditioning ingredients nourish brows
- Long and thin brush evenly coats brow hairs
- Brush may pick up and remove any makeup on eyebrows
Encased in pink and gold packaging, Chella’s eyebrow gel will look gorgeous in your makeup bag. Its lightweight formula promises to keep brows in place, without leaving them hard and crunchy.
The brush is small and rounded at the end, so it can get into the corners and edges of eyebrows easily. The formula is vegan and cruelty-free, which is perfect for animal lovers.
Chella claims that their solution is also free from gluten and parabens, and can be recycled after use. This product is a good choice for those that care about clean beauty, but still want a brow gel that works well.
- Small brush fits into all brow areas easily
- Vegan and gluten, paraben, and cruelty-free formula
- No conditioning ingredients
How To Use Clear Eyebrow Gel
There are two ways to apply clear eyebrow gel. The first way is to apply the gel without adding any more makeup to your brows.
- Open the product and take the brush applicator out of the gel container.
- Make sure that there isn’t too much product on the spoolie. Then simply brush the gel through your brow hairs. That’s it!
The second is using the gel alongside eyebrow makeup. Some people differ on whether they like to apply the gel before or after filling in their brows.
We’d suggest applying the gel before you go in with makeup. The gel will make your pencil or pomade cling to your hairs and skin better than applying them before.
- Before you start to fill in your eyebrows, use your clear gel to brush the hairs in place.
- Wait for the gel to dry by at least 80%. If the gel is still wet, your brow makeup will mix with the gel. This can make the product run or move out of place.
- Once the gel is dry, use your pencil, pomade, or shadow to fill in any sparse areas.
- Then, take a spoolie to lightly brush everything in place, blending everything nicely.
How To Choose The Best Clear Eyebrow Gel
There are many different clear brow gels available, from both drugstore and higher-end varieties. Many brands have advantages over others, so it can be difficult to know which one to choose.
To make it easier for you, here are some important aspects that you should consider before purchasing a clear brow gel.
The best eyebrow solutions come in formulas that aren’t too thick or too runny. If they’re too thick, the formula can build up on your brows.
This can leave your brows looking painted on or too cakey. A thick formula can also make brow hairs seem too stiff.
A runny formula can drip off your brows and take too long to dry. If you wear brow makeup, a runny solution may also remove your pencil or pomade, making it shift out of place.
The right consistency is a light, but buildable formula. It should hold delicate brow hairs in place without looking frozen. Any makeup applied on top or beneath your brows should stay in place nicely.
Some eyebrow gels may also include ingredients that can nourish your brows, promote hair growth, and moisturize your skin. These may include Vitamin E, castor oil, aloe vera, and jojoba oil.
Some ingredients, like castor oil, may thicken the brow formula. This could make it trickier to apply to brows and could make them feel sticky.
Depending on your needs, you may want a formula with conditioning ingredients or one which is simply a gel.
If you go for one with nourishing ingredients, you may want to look for a product with a thinner brush, as this will make it harder to pick up too much product.
The spoolie, or brush, can make or break a brow gel. There are many styles of brushes to choose from, but brow gels tend to come in two varieties.
The first is a medium-sized spoolie. These tend to look like mascara wands, which makes these great multi-taskers as you can apply the gel to both your brows and lashes.
Medium brushes evenly coat brow hairs, but may make it difficult to concentrate on certain areas.
The second type of brush is a smaller, tiny brush. These are perfect for applying gel to the inner corners and tail ends of eyebrows.
They won’t pick up too much product, so you can build up the formula without making your brows look caked on. However, mini brushes aren’t the best if you want to use your brow gel on your lashes as well.
As clear eyebrow gels are transparent, it’s easy to think that they are free of harmful dyes and toxic ingredients. However, some harmful substances can easily slip into these products, like parabens, dangerous preservatives, and paraffin derivatives.
Toxic ingredients like these can dry out your skin and hair. Even though they are dangerous, they can still be found in some beauty products.
To make sure that your brow gel is safe to use around the eyes, check the label to make sure your product is toxin-free and ophthalmologist tested. Depending on your beliefs, you may also want to check if the formula is vegan or cruelty-free.
Tips On Using Eyebrow Gels
- Clear eyebrow gel is great for ‘no-makeup’ looks. You can add a little blush and lipgloss alongside your brows, making you look put together without using too much makeup.
- Clear eyebrow gel can also double up as an eyelash primer, which can make removing waterproof mascara easier. Apply the gel through your lashes, then wait for it to dry. Then apply your mascara as normal. You’ll also save makeup remover and condition your lashes when doing this.
- You can also use a clear brow gel to tame any flyaway hairs. Simply brush a light coat on your edges or any frizzy bits that are sticking out. Clear gels are great for this as they dry transparent and don’t leave a crunchy finish.
- If you’re planning on coloring your hair soon, invest in a clear brow gel beforehand. It can be tricky to find the right brow pencil or pomade to match your new hair. A clear brow gel will keep your brows in place as you try to find the right makeup shade.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Clear Eyebrow Gel For?
Clear eyebrow gel is a makeup product that holds brow hairs in place when brushed through them. Clear brow gels don’t have any color, so they can be used on any type of hair color and texture.
These gels normally come in a tube with a brush applicator, ideal for brushing the product through eyebrows. Brow gel is best for holding thicker unruly hairs in place, but can be used on thinner brows as well.
What Eyebrow Gel Is Best?
Clear eyebrow gels are best for no-makeup days. They can make you feel put together without spending lots of time in front of the mirror.
Transparent gels have the advantage over tinted ones, as they dry clear, meaning you don’t have to worry about misplaced pigment.
Good eyebrow gels are non-sticky, so you shouldn’t feel much leftover residue on your brows. Some gels can contain ingredients that can moisturize your brow hairs, like aloe vera or argan oil.
You can also opt for waterproof clear gels that will keep your brows in place all day.
Depending on your needs, you may want a shorter or longer spoolie brush. Mini ones are great for keeping in your makeup bag, as they’re small and can be applied on the go.
Thinner, longer brushes help you reach every brow hair but are best kept in your at-home makeup kit.
Is Clear Or Colored Brow Gel Better?
Both types of gel have advantages. Clear brow gel is transparent, so it can be used on any hair color. It’s best for those who don’t want to add any pigment to their brows.
Clear gels keep brow hair in place just like tinted gels.
However, tinted brow gel adds color to eyebrow hairs, making them look thicker as a result. These need to be matched to the shade of your brow hairs.
They’re ideal for adding definition to paler or sparse brows, while clear ones are best to keep thicker brows in place.