Eyebrows are sisters and not twins, but sometimes it’s hard to make them look even vaguely related. Everyone who has ever worn makeup knows the struggles of trying to stick to eyebrow trends whilst sticking to your own eyebrow shape.
We’ve all been there – the caterpillar block brows, the thin and over-plucked brows, bushy brows, and no makeup brows. Everyone has made the mistake
It all comes down to technique and the type of product you use. Not everyone can work with eyebrow pomade or eyebrow pencils if you don’t use the right brush or if you pick the wrong color, and not everyone has enough eyebrow hair to simply comb them through with brow gels.
Eyebrow powder is the best option for those who want to create the ideal “natural” brow look. Brow powders provide a far more natural appearance than some thick brow pomades and eyebrow gels, plus they can be surprisingly easy to apply. You’ve just got to know what to look for to find the best eyebrow powders.
Luckily for you, we’ve got you covered. We have found the best eyebrow powder products to help you up your brow game – whether you want to fill in your sparse brows or create a pair of bold brows. Go to our page if you are wondering if powder brows are better than microblading?
- Best Eyebrow Powder
- Eyebrow Powder Buyer’s Guide
- How to choose the right eyebrow powder?
- Eyebrow Color
- Brow Pigment
- Waterproof Eyebrow Powder
- How To Apply Eyebrow Powder?
- Frequently Asked Questions About Eyebrow Powder
- Is an eyebrow pencil or brow powder better?
- How do I choose an eyebrow powder color?
- How can I fill in my eyebrows naturally?
Best Eyebrow Powder
When it comes to finding good-quality and budget-friendly drugstore makeup, NYX is one of the most popular and reliable brands. NYX has proven time and time again that good makeup doesn’t have to be affordable to compromise on quality. Plus, NYX is a PETA-certified cruelty-free brand.
This eyebrow powder is a great all-in-one product that is a must-have for your makeup bag. The problem with using regular eyeshadow for brows is that the eyeshadow often crumbles and isn’t pigmented enough to fill in eyebrows properly. This eyebrow cake powder, however, is designed to feel as lightweight as regular eyeshadow but is packed with enough pigment to create a natural-looking brow. This is achieved by a slightly buttery feel to the brow powders.
This product truly is an all-in-one brow powder. Not only does it come with two shades of your chosen color (one slightly warmer than the other to help you find the ideal shade), but it also comes with a waxy brow pomade that works to keep your brows in your chosen position all day. What’s more, this brow powder comes with a spoolie brush and a small brush for easy application. Of course, you can use your own applicators, but this is handy for traveling with makeup.
Plus, customers say that this is the best dupe for the Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Duo.
- All-in-one product – Two brow colors, spoolie brush, angled brush, and waxy pomade all included to do your brows easily
- Good dupe – Affordable version of the Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Duo
- Cruelty-free – NYX does not test its products on animals
- Brush quality – Included angled brush isn’t the best applicator, but it’s nice to have it included in the product
Sometimes, eyebrow powders aren’t pigmented enough to fill in those pesky sparse areas in your brows. Sure, you can pack more product on, but then it just looks like a powdered mess rather than the illusion of hair-like strokes.
The ELLESY brow powder is there to provide a pigmented product for every part of your brows – whether there are sparse patches or not – without making your brows look too thick or blocky. This product is highly pigmented, so you only need to use a small amount at a time, which means the powder lasts for months, if not years. This pigment is also long-lasting, which has been proven to withstand water and sweat through various tests and experiments.
The fact that this product is in a single compact with no additional brushes or spoolie wands is great for those who already have their chosen method of applying eyebrow powder. Sometimes, those additional small brushes just get in the way and don’t do as well as full-sized brushes. Plus, the single compact is easy to carry around in your makeup bag as it doesn’t take up much space.
The only downside to this product is that it only comes in four shades – dark brown, black-brown, seal brown, and stone gray – which means it’s only suitable for those with dark hair or dark skin.
- Highly pigmented – Ideal for those with sparse areas in their brows, as this product will stick to the skin easily
- No additional brushes – If you’ve got your chosen method of application already, extra brushes and spoolie wands can be unnecessary
- Best for dark hair – Works brilliantly for those with dark hair, dark natural dark, and dark skin
- Limited shades – Not suitable for those with light hair or light brows
Anastasia Beverly Hills is one of the leading high-end makeup brands in the world, and it is mostly known for its expertise in brow products. The brand has an excellent pomade, a great gel, and their iconic brow powder duo is brilliant for those who work best with a powder-based product.
If you’re a lover of makeup and you want to take your brows to the next level, you’ve got to check out the Anastasia Beverly Hills brow powder duo. The clue is in the name of this product – it’s a duo compact of two brow shades in varying tones, which means that you have more control over perfecting the right color for your brows. Feeling a lighter, more natural look? Use the lighter shade. Wanting a more dramatic look? Use the darker shade. Or, use the lighter shade at the start of your brow and the darker shade at the end of your brow to create an ombre.
The downside to this product is the size of the compact. While it comes with the benefit of two shades, the compact itself is quite small, which means the product won’t last as long as larger compacts. However, as the shades are so pigmented, you won’t need to use much product at all anyway.
- High-quality – Anastasia Beverly Hills is one of the best makeup brands for brow products
- Duo product – Two different shades to achieve the ideal color for your brows
- Good for traveling – Small compact takes up minimal space
- Compact size – Small compact means less product
If you’re blonde or if you have a lighter complexion, sometimes it’s really hard to find the right eyebrow product. Pomades and pencils are far too dark, and most powders seem to be too pigmented, resulting in an overwhelming amount of product. But if you leave your brows without makeup, they seem to disappear into your face.
That’s where this COVERGIRL brow powder kit comes in. Their color range is almost the complete opposite of ELLESY’s color range because COVERGIRL’s Easy Breezy powder kit seems best suited for those with blonde hair and light skin. This eyebrow powder kit comes with three powder shades overall: one darker brown tone, one lighter brow tone, and a super light tone designed to highlight the brow bone. This helps to give the illusion of a naturally arched brow.
This COVERGIRL brow powder kit comes equipped with an optional double-ended small brush that is ideal for traveling. The ends feature a typical angled eyebrow brush used for definition, while the other end is slightly thicker for those who don’t want a defined brow.
- Three shades – One darker brow tone, one lighter brow tone, and a highlight tone to create the desired natural eyebrow
- Best for light hair – ideal for those with light hair, light brows, and a fair complexion as it isn’t too heavy
- Affordable – Great for beginners and makeup lovers on a budget
- Not very pigmented – While it is buildable, this isn’t the product for creating a bold brow look
If you struggle to find the right powder shade for your brows, it can make buying a product an absolute nightmare. You don’t want to waste money on something that doesn’t match your desired eyebrow color, after all. That’s where this brow powder kit comes in.
The Aesthetica brow kit is equipped with 6 eyebrow shades ranging from ebony to soft blonde, allowing you complete control over how dark or how light you want your brows to look. Any colors that you don’t end up using can be easily used as eyeshadow, too. This kit also comes with a highlighting powder for the brown bone, a concealer for carving your brows, a waxy pomade to set your brows in place, five brow stencils, and a pair of tweezers. The brow sten
This product comes with everything you could possibly need to create your desired brow look. The compact itself is also slim and comes with a mirror, which is great for traveling!
- Versatile kit – Kit comes with six eyebrow powder shades and more to create the perfect brow look
- Additional accessories – Stencils are great for those who want a guideline to shape their brows
- Travel-friendly – Slim compact comes with a handy mirror
- Price – Due to the number of products and extras in this kit, this is the most expensive product on our list
Eyebrow Powder Buyer’s Guide
How to choose the right eyebrow powder?
In a world of countless makeup options and ways to do your brows, it might seem a bit overwhelming when you’re surrounded by endless eyebrow products. You don’t want to waste your time and money on a product that doesn’t work right for you, after all. Here are the key points to look for when choosing the right eyebrow powder to perfect your eyebrow makeup skills.
The most important factor when choosing the right eyebrow powder is the color. The general rule of thumb is to find a color that matches the color of your hair. In most cases, your brows might be slightly lighter than your hair color, and so for everything to look cohesive, it’s best to match your brows to your hair.
However, the beauty of makeup is that you don’t have to follow any rules. If you want a lighter brow, opt for a taupe or blonde shade. If you want to achieve a striking dark brow, then find a dark brown or black shade. Also have an idea of what tone you want your brows to be, because warmer brow tones look significantly different from cooler ones.
If in doubt, buy a brow powder kit that has two or more shades as this will give you more options. Versatile eyebrow makeup is the best option, so get a brow kit to be on the safe side!
Ideally, you’ll want to find a product that has a lot of pigment. This is because an unpigmented powder product can look chalky and ashy when used on eyebrows, which will make them look unnatural. You might find that a brow gel or brow pencil creates a darker eyebrow look, however.
On the other hand, pigmented powder products can make your eyebrows look dark and heavy if you don’t apply them properly. The key to applying any makeup is to use a light hand to prevent this. Build your way up!
Waterproof Eyebrow Powder
This isn’t an essential factor, but there’s nothing worse than spending ages on your brows only for the makeup to slide off your face in the rain or when you’re sweating at the gym.
If you have sparse patches in your eyebrows, you will rely on the powder to make your brows look fuller, so you don’t want it to move at all. Keep an eye out for products that have tested their makeup to ensure that it is waterproof and sweatproof!
It’s not just about finding the right makeup product – you’ve got to find the right applicator. Most eyebrow powder kits come with a small angled brow brush or a spoolie brush, but most of the time, these don’t work properly.
It will take a lot of experimentation and trial and error to see what works best for you, but we recommend brushing your brows with a spoolie wand and then using a slim angled brush to “paint” on the powder to mimic eyebrow hairs.
How To Apply Eyebrow Powder?
- To achieve the most natural look, use a lighter shade at the start of your brow and a darker shade at the end of your brow. Alternatively, use the same shade but start with applying the makeup to the end of your brow, as this is where the most pigmented part should be. Then, use whatever is left to fill in the start of the brow.
- Use a light hand! It’s far easier to build up pigment than to take it away.
- To mimic brow hairs with eyebrow powder, dip your angled brow brush into water or spray it with setting spray. This will bring out the darker pigments in the powder, which will make it easier to create definition.
- Speaking of definition, use concealer to carve the shape of your brows after applying the powder. Not only will this make your brows look neat, but it can also paint over any stray eyebrow hairs!
- Use a highlighter color on the arch of your brow bone to give the illusion of a lifted brow bone, which can usually only be achieved with Botox. A brow kit will usually include this shade.
- It’s best to work with the shape of your brows. While you might want to follow particular brow shape trends, you will achieve the most natural look by working with what you’ve got.
Frequently Asked Questions About Eyebrow Powder
Is an eyebrow pencil or brow powder better?
It all comes down to what works best for you and what look you wish to achieve. Brow pencils are certainly more pigmented than powders, which means that while they can create a bold look, they can often look overtly fake.
Powders allow more control over the strength of the pigment, but they don’t provide as much definition as an eyebrow pencil. Also, a brow pencil will require frequent sharpening.
How do I choose an eyebrow powder color?
The rule of thumb is to opt for an eyebrow color that matches the color of your hair. However, you can afford to be flexible with this rule, because some people might want a different eyebrow color to their hair.
You’ve got to ask yourself how dark you wish your brows to be and whether it would be easier to opt for a lighter shade to be on the safe side. We recommend finding a product such as an eyebrow powder duo or kit that offers two or more brow shades so you can mix and match colors.
How can I fill in my eyebrows naturally?
The best way to fill in your eyebrows naturally is with eyebrow powder. Brow pencils, brow gel, and brow pomades are good for creating a bold look, but this can look unrealistic. Powders are lighter in pigment, which means that your eyebrows won’t look too chunky or too dark.
You’ll need to find a shade that matches your hair color (or the roots specifically) and use a gentle hand with an angled eyebrow brush to apply the powder. Make sure to use a little at a time to prevent your eyebrows from looking too heavy.