Have you always wanted those beautiful luscious lashes that look flawless on celebrities or supermodels? Do you tend to buy the mascara that promises this effortless look for the most fluttery eyelashes?
Do you often wonder why you had even bothered to spend those extra dollars since your eyelashes look the same as before?
Well, this article is here to tell you, eyelash primer is the way forward! Eyelash primer is the secret that celebrities will never let loose, that makeup artists all over the world swear by.
Without fail, it boosts those lashes, giving them extra volume and length, whilst also making sure that your new favorite mascara goes on clump-free. Think of how smooth your foundation goes on when you’ve got a layer of primer underneath.
No uneven layers, no smudging. Well, that’s the same for eyelash primer. We promise it’s worth it.
Luckily, we’ve compiled a list of the best eyelash primers on the market, taking into account the formula, the application, their environmental impact, and the best features that will promise that dense false-lash effect for everyone.
We’ve included a list of pros and cons with each product and reasons why you should consider taking the step into the eyelash primer world!
Table of Contents - Click to See
- Best Eyelash Primer
- blinc Lash Primer, White: Beauty & Personal Care
- Milani Violet One Lash Primer – Eyelash Primer
- L’Oréal Paris Makeup Voluminous Lash Boosting Conditioning Primer Mascara, White Primer
- Covergirl Lash Blast Amplify Eyelash Primer, Neutral White
- Buyer’s Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
Best Eyelash Primer
Taking the top spot for best lash primer, in our opinion, is the Essence Volume Booster Lash Primer. This primer will boost your volume like no other, making it the perfect option for those looking for that dense dramatic effect to dance the night away.
Their buildable formula promises to boost any type of eyelashes and lasts the entire day or all through the night.
Not only will you love the volume of this eyelash primer, but it’s also botanically infused!
Infused with the scent of acai oil, rich in vitamin B, vitamin E, and bursting with essential minerals, as well as mango butter which promises to protect those lashes and stimulate growth, this primer will nurture and condition your lashes, moisturizing each lash so that your mascara rolls on effortlessly.
Simply apply the primer until you see a thin layer of white and let it sit for 20-30 seconds before applying your mascara and you’ll be ready to go!
Not only will you look good, but you’ll feel good too knowing and having peace of mind that this primer is cruelty-free! All of the essence cosmetics are certified and acknowledged by PETA, promising they do not test on animals.
- Creates volume– Extremely high impact and adds plenty of volume for that extra dramatic effect.
- Botanically infused– Added acai oil and mango butter.
- Long-lasting– Promises that your mascara stays on all day and all night.
- Vegan- Paraben-free and cruelty-free.
- Thick formula- Sometimes can be difficult to apply evenly.
- Strong– Can be tricky to remove mascara afterward.
Our second favorite is the Blinc Nourishing Lash Primer. This eyelash primer also promises to give extra definition whilst conditioning, strengthening, and adding plenty of volume.
The formula behind the Blinc Nourishing Lash Primer makes sure to nourish those eyelashes, keeping them healthy but providing a natural glow when combined with mascara.
The formula includes Pentapeptide-17, which promotes fuller lashes, Vitamin E, which nourishes and replenishes the moisture in your lashes, and Vitamin B5, which promises to give your lashes that extra length and volume all day long.
The formula is also is gluten-free, paraben-free, sulfate-free, fragrance-free, oil-free, and talc-free, whilst also remaining cruelty-free meaning no animals were harmed in the making!
Unlike the Essence Volume Booster Lash Primer, a unique selling point of the Blinc Primer is that you do not need makeup remover to remove it, warm water and gentle pressure should do the trick.
Considering it doesn’t contain any fumes or fragrances either, this means it’s a great choice for those with sensitive eyes. Additionally, this product is very versatile.
It can be used on both eyelashes and eyebrows. For example, if your eyebrows are sparse feel free to apply this lash primer onto your eyebrows to protect them from environmental pollutants and to stimulate healthy growth.
- Natural– Creates volume whilst also promising a natural glow and defining your lashes.
- Smooth– Can be removed easily.
- Good for sensitive eyes- Gluten-free, paraben-free, sulfate-free, fragrance-free, oil-free, and talc-free.
- Versatile- Can be used on eyebrows and eyelashes
- Cruelty-free– Good for animal welfare
- Needs to be applied quickly– Should be applied within 60 seconds
We love the Milani Violent One Lash Primer and we know it will make your eyelashes stand out from the crowd all day and all night. Not only will you be the star of the show but this lash primer promises to help keep those lashes hydrated, nourished, and conditioned so they’ll remain as healthy as can be.
A key feature of this lash primer is that it is tinted with violet, meaning it will always give you a great visual when applied evenly and will always make your mascara pop.
We know the ingredients in the formula are important. That’s why like all the primers in this list, the Milani Violet One Lash Primer of course uses some of the highest quality ingredients on the market.
These ingredients include Jasmine flower wax, which hydrates and conditions your eyelashes, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) wax, which has water-repellant properties that protect and keep your lashes free from environmental pollutants and Chondrus Crispus powder, which is rich in nutrients, helping protect your lashes in the long term.
This product is again cruelty-free, as well as flake-free and smudge-free. Not only will it resist flaking and smudging but it’s also waterproof. This means when paired with waterproof mascara you’re prepared for anything!
- Tinted- Enhances black mascara and makes your eyes pop
- Cruelty-free- Good for animal welfare
- Trustworthy ingredients– Contains jasmine wax, carnauba wax, and essential oils
- Flake-free and smudge-free– Waterproof and lasts all day or night
- Fails to curl your lashes– You need to manually curl your lashes after priming them to maintain your curls.
This L’Oreal Primer is the one for you if you’re after something that will promise to keep those eyelashes healthy but still want to draw attention to those big bold lashes. It conditions your lashes naturally and so is great for those looking for a beauty product that looks good and feels good at the same time.
The formula is the key ingredient to those healthy, conditioned lashes. It boosts the thickness of your chosen mascara whilst also keeping lashes moisturized all through the day.
Some key elements of the formula that ensure this are Rosa Canina Fruit Oil, which contains plenty of vitamin A, C, and E as well as having anti-inflammatory properties, Jojoba oil, which rejuvenates lashes and prevents them from becoming brittle and dry, and vitamin B5 which promises natural, thick eyelashes.
Not only is this one of the best eyelash primers for healthy eyelashes, but it also doesn’t fail to provide that dramatic effect you’re looking for on a night out or to simply last all day long.
The easy-to-use wand and applicator allow each lash to be individually coated, helping your mascara pop and impress, standing out from the crowd always.
- Versatile– Works well with many different brands of mascara.
- Promotes healthy eyelashes– Conditions and moisturizes lashes, making it one of the best primers to use on a regular basis and promising thicker-looking lashes in just 4 weeks.
- Smooth- Lightweight and can be applied smoothly.
- Struggles to curl your lashes– The primer struggles to hold curls for those with extremely thick, straight lashes. This may result in you needing to re-curl eyelashes throughout the day.
If it’s that instant lash boost, you’re looking for, look no further than the Covergirl Lash Blast Eyelash Primer. This loud lash primer maximizes the look of your mascara, making your eyelashes pop and look thicker, longer, and more voluminous from root to tip.
The formula is famously creamy and lightweight, making it super easy to apply and allowing it to glide on evenly, coating every single lash and giving you that famous fanned look.
It also contains plenty of nourishing and hydrating oils such as argan oil, which moisturize lashes well for a soft and healthy glow, jojoba oil, which promises to rejuvenate lashes and save them from turning dry and brittle and coconut oil, which locks in moisture and gives fuller-looking fluttery lashes all day long.
Like the L’oreal primer, you’ll see results in the first few weeks of using this primer and after continuous use, will have the healthiest lashes of your life.
As an international cruelty-free lash primer, the Covergirl Blast Amplify Eyelash Primer is also Leaping Bunny Certified, meaning it’s never been tested on animals.
- Creamy, lightweight formula– contains argan oil, jojoba oil, and coconut oil
- Conditioning ingredients– Helps lashes remain soft and healthy
- Specially-molded bristles on the wand- Every lash is evenly covered for that more dramatic look
- Leaping Bunny Certified– Cruelty-free and never tested on animals
- Needs to be fully dry before applying mascara- The eyelash primer needs to sit for at least 30 seconds.
- Limiting– Can be used with other mascara but designed to be used with your favorite Covergirl mascara
We know when it comes to buying eyelash primer, you want to be aware of what you’re looking for. That’s why we’ve created this handy buyer’s guide to point you in the right direction. We’ve brought together the top few things to consider before purchasing so you know you’ve made the right decision and picked the right primer for you.
Most eyelash primers are made up of a variety of ingredients and oils to help moisturize, condition, nourish and most of all protect those lashes. After all, that is the sole purpose of eyelash primer.
Yes, they help keep mascara on, create beautiful silky lashes and make your eyes pop, but with continuous use of a primer with a great formula, you’ll see healthier lashes in weeks.
Before making that all-important purchase, research popular ingredients and their qualities. Have a look and jot down some of the ones you’re going to be looking for when buying and then make sure you double-check the label before purchasing to make sure they match your preferences.
Ensure there are no harmful ingredients either, and you’re on the right track.
Luckily, we’ve come up with some suggestions of ingredients to look out for when you’re on the hunt for the most conditioning lash primer on the market:
- Vitamin E. This vitamin is a natural antioxidant and can strengthen, thicken, lengthen and help your eyelashes grow naturally. It can also help prevent free radical damage and protect your eyelashes from environmental pollution.
- Vitamin B3 (niacin). Vitamin B3 increases blood circulation to the hair follicles that support and help your lashes grow. This in turn helps them appear thicker, longer, and stronger.
- Vitamin B5 (panthenol or pantothenic acid) This vitamin again promotes ticker and longer-looking bare lashes whilst also being conditioning and moisturizing, ensuring your lashes glow naturally and remain healthy in the long term.
- Microfibers. Many eyelash primers contain microfibers. These are tiny threads that cling to your lashes and promise to give them a thicker, fuller, and longer look when paired with mascara.
- Peptides. Peptides are amino acid chains that can strengthen, nourish and condition your lashes. They also promote natural growth for that false eyelash look and are a must-have if you want those effortless fluttery lashes to last all night.
- Natural oils. A blend of oils such as argan, jojoba, coconut, and sunflower seed oil ensure lashes are strong, nourished, and conditioned, as well as silky and smooth.
No one wants clumpy mascara. And it’s the same for primer. When hunting through different lash primers, you want to look for something that advertises how smooth it glides onto each individual lash. Consider the texture and what it’s made out of.
See if you can check out the consistency of a primer, as the wrong consistency can only cause your lashes to stick together making them look bad but also making it feel uncomfortable to wear every time you blink.
You not only need to consider the primer itself but also the type of applicator it comes with.
Like mascara applicators, you need a wand and a bottle you can easily open and hold in one hand, but you also need to make sure that the brush also has short bristles so that it separates lashes easily and each lash is coated well with the primer.
This will ensure your mascara can be applied effortlessly and it stays on as long as possible, popping those lashes and giving them that definition you dream for.
We know animal welfare is important to all of us and that’s why when searching through lash primers, it’s important to look for a cruelty-free one. Many primers promise this and also promise to be vegan and manufactured without being tested on animals.
But be careful and do your research into the company. Some makeup companies still test on animals, so it’s best to triple-check before investing.
If you’re extra passionate about animal welfare, search for products that are leaping bunny certified. These are companies that pledge to refrain from animal testing during all stages of product development.
The main distinction here is that certain primers that claim to be “not tested on animals” or “cruelty-free” only refer to the final product.
Style and suitability
Do you want a tinted lash primer or not? Do you want one that’s going to make you stand out from the crowd or simply keep your mascara on all through the working day?
These are things you need to consider when searching for a primer that best suits your own needs and what desired effect you want for your lashes.
A tinted eyelash primer helps to indicate whether you’ve applied the primer evenly and if you’re looking to make your eyelashes stand out, you can even search for a tint of brown or black.
Brown or black tinted eyelash primers therefore can be worn on their own and without any mascara added, making them great for everyday use, as well as great for big nights out as you’ll be sure to achieve maximum length and volume with added mascara.
If you’re looking for a primer that ensures maximum wear through the day, look for one that’s long-lasting and potentially even waterproof.
If you pair a waterproof primer with waterproof mascara, you’ll be prepared for every event and every weather, whether that’s swimming or running between office buildings in the pouring rain.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Are Eyelash Primers Good for your Lashes?
Eyelash primers contain moisturizing ingredients such as those listed above that help condition and strengthen your lashes, whether you apply mascara or not, to keep them healthy and strong.
Some eyelash primers contain especially picked ingredients that stimulate lash growth too, promising longer, thicker lashes over time.
Do You Put Eyelash Primer on Before Curling your Lashes?
Always use your curler before you apply your lash primer. You may accidentally pull out some lashes during the curling process if they’re already coated with primer. Allow the eyelash primer to set on your lashes for about 30 seconds, or according to instructions before applying mascara.
When Does Eyelash Primer Expire?
Eyelash Primer contains alcohol, which makes it last up to 3 years if not opened, but make sure you use it within 12 months once opened.