Lash Extensions and Falsies are two of the most prominent methods for enhancing ones eyelashes.
Both lash extensions and falsies have unique benefits and drawbacks regarding appearance, application, maintenance, and cost.
In the following sections, we look into these factors to comprehensively compare these two popular eyelash enhancement options.
♥ Key Takeaways ♥
- The difference between eyelash extensions and false lashes.
- What the difference in cost is between extensions and Falsies.
- What the application processes are for both.
- The time needed to apply lash extensions vs. falsies.
- Durability and maintenance associated with both.
Table of Contents - Click To
- Eyelash Extensions vs False Lashes Pros and Cons
- Eyelash Extensions vs. False Lashes Cost
- Lash Extensions and False Lashes Appearance Differences
- Eyelash Extensions vs False Lashes Application Process
- Eyelash Extensions vs False Lashes Maintenance and Upkeep
- What Lasts Longer Eyelash Extensions or False Lashes?
- Are Lash Extensions Safer Than False Lashes?
- Why Strip Lashes Are Better Than Lash Extensions?
- Eyelash Extensions or False Lashes for Special Events (Wedding, Photos, Dances)
- Eyelash Extensions vs False Strip Eyelashes: Who is the winner?
- Frequently Asked Questions About Lash Extensions Vs Falsies
- Are Falsies Or Eyelash Extensions Better?
- Do Eyelash Extensions Feel Different Than False Eyelashes?
- Is It Easier To Put On Eyelash Extensions Than False Eyelashes?
- Are Eyelash Extensions the Same as Fake Eyelashes?
- Are Eyelash Extensions The Same As Fake Eyelashes?
- Can I Wear Falsies Over Eyelash Extensions?
- Which Strip Lashes Look Like Eyelash Extensions?
- Is It Ok To Wear False Eyelashes Every Day?
Eyelash Extensions vs False Lashes Pros and Cons
See below for our comparisons of the pros and cons of lash extensions and falsies
9 Pros of Eyelash Extensions:
- Lash extensions last approximately 4-6 weeks
- You control the fullness and length
- Length can vary between 6mm to 17mm
- Cuts down makeup application duration
- Lashes stay on until your natural lashes fall out
- Beautify your eyes
- You can get lash extensions wet (after 24 hours)
- No need for expensive mascara
- You can choose between different types of lash hair to accomplish different looks
8 Cons of Eyelash Extensions:
- Typically requires professional application
- They’re somewhat expensive to apply and preserve
- Plucking or rubbing eyes can harm the lashes
- Proper daily cleaning and fluffing is necessary to prolong the lifespan
- Lash fills are typically needed every 2-4 weeks
- How often you need a fill will depend on the growth cycle of your natural lashes
- Lash appointments can be time-consuming
- 1-2.5 hours for a complete set
- 45 minutes -2 hours for a refill
- Going to an unlicensed person rather than a professional lash tech can harm your eyes.
- You can get pink eye if tools aren’t sterile
- Can cause loss of eyelashes
- Infection of the eyelid or cornea can occur
- Improper glue adhesive application can cause damage
- Possibility of allergy to the lash glue adhesive
- Eye irritation
- Eyes look blood shot
- Swollen Eyelids
5 Pros of False Lashes:
- It can provide you with a natural or full lash look
- False lashes are reusable
- Compared to lash extensions, the impact on your natural lashes is typically less (if used correctly)
- Make your lashes and eyes look great
- You can choose between different types of hair to achieve various looks
10 Cons of False Lashes:
- Should be taken off before sleep
- They can be challenging to put on
- You cannot get them wet
- They need cleaning after each use
- Some false lashes can look very fake
- Need to purchase lash glue separately
- Some glue adhesives can cause eye irritation and even eyesight loss
- Swollen eyelid after fake lashes
- Glue can often get stuck on eyelashes
- Glue can easily get in your eye
- Natural lashes can be yanked off easily if not used correctly
Eyelash Extensions vs. False Lashes Cost
The cost of eyelash extensions varies based on location and the experience of the last technician, but you will typically be in the range of $125 to $275 for a full set of lash extensions.
False lashes are cheaper at around $8 to $40 or more, but you also have to purchase eyelash glue to apply the falsies. Falsies are cheaper, but you must apply them whenever you want to wear them.
Lash Extensions and False Lashes Appearance Differences
False eyelashes and eyelash extensions both have a wide range of styles to choose from. However, they do have different looks and differences as a whole.
False Lashes Appearance
There are a couple of details that stand out when it comes to false eyelashes compared to eyelash extensions.
False lashes are glued to the lash line so this makes them more noticeable. They are also less customizable than eyelash extensions and when purchasing you could easily order a set that doesn’t fit well with the shape of your eyes or eye structure.
You can also have issues with the band on the lashes being longer than your lash line which you might have to modify with trimming them.
Eyelash Extensions Appearance
Natural looking eyelash extensions gives the appearance of a more natural lash look since the lashes are glued directly to the eyelashes and not on the lash line like false eyelashes.
You can customize your lash extensions more than with false eyelashes. Your lash technician can use a lash curl chart to get a wide range of lengths and curls to suit your eye shape and give you the best look for your lash extensions to coincide with your own lashes.
Eyelash Extensions vs False Lashes Application Process
When it comes to eyelash extensions and false eyelashes one of the biggest differences is how the lashes are applied.
False Lashes Application
False lashes come in strips, clusters, or individuals; you can use them alone in the comfort of your own home.
There are two parts to fake lashes. First, there is a strip base, and second, the lash hairs attached to that base.
In the first step, apply your eyelash glue to the base of the falsies. Once the glue dries down, it becomes tacky. Once that happens, you position the lashes right above the lash line and push them in gently to get them to attach.
Eyelash Extensions Application
Eyelash extensions are typically applied in a salon, but some put them on at home, which we don’t recommend.
A lash tech uses individual lashes to construct a customized look. The service typically takes 1 to 2 hours. The extensions adhere to the natural lashes with a firm hold eyelash glue, so they stay in position for 4 to 6 weeks.
Eyelash Extensions vs False Lashes Maintenance and Upkeep
False Lashes Maintenance
The eyelash glue for falsies is gentle and only meant to stay in place for about a day.
If you have never applied false lashes before, you’ll need to be careful not to rub them off your eyes and ensure not to get lash glue in them.
Eyelash Extensions Maintenance
Maintenance is essential when caring for lash extensions. 2 of the most critical maintenance items are.
1. Avoiding water for the first few days after an application is critical.
2. Avoiding oil-based makeup products and cleaners is essential for keeping the lashes in place with a stronghold.
What Lasts Longer Eyelash Extensions or False Lashes?
Eyelash extensions last longer per application. Lash extensions can last 4 to 6 weeks per application.
False lashes need to be taken off after every use. However, false lashes are reusable.
Are Lash Extensions Safer Than False Lashes?
Eyelash extensions are safer than false lashes if done properly. While both are fairly safe to use. With both lash extensions and falsies, you can get side effects like allergic reactions, swelling, stinging, burning, itching, pink eye, runny nose, bloodshot eyes, or irritations to the lash glue.
You can, in extreme cases, even get ocular disorders, corneal damage, and chemical burns from poor glue applications done by under trained technicians.
Lash extensions, if done properly, you will only worry about the side effects above and the glue getting into your eyes once during your original application of the lash extensions.
Going to a reputable professional lash artist will keep the risks associated with getting eyelash extensions down to a minimum.
With false eyelashes, you are constantly reapplying them so you have a greater chance of getting eyelash glue into your eyes since you are constantly taking them off and reapplying them when you want to wear them.
So there is a greater likelihood of having complications from the eyelash glue since you are constantly reapplying and taking it off along with your fake lashes.
Why Strip Lashes Are Better Than Lash Extensions?
Strip lashes are better than lash extensions because they are cheaper and you have more style options.
With lash extensions after they are applied they are semi-permanent and last for roughly 4 to 6 weeks. During this time you can’t change the style or shape of them. They are also more expensive than strip lashes.
With false strip lashes you are able to change them to different styles and they are also a lot cheaper than semi-permanent and permanent eyelash extensions.
Eyelash Extensions or False Lashes for Special Events (Wedding, Photos, Dances)
If you have a special event such as a dance, wedding or wedding photos, lash extensions are a great way to go.
Eyelash extensions make your lashes look fuller, longer, darker, and they will help give your eyes that extra pop on your wedding day or special event.
While eyelash extensions are the top pick for most, false eyelashes can be a great option if you are looking for a quick pick-me-up for your lashes and want to keep costs down as much as possible.
Eyelash Extensions vs False Strip Eyelashes: Who is the winner?
Eyelash extensions are the winner since they require less upkeep than false eyelashes.
However, if you are on a tight budget and only need glamorous lashes for special events, then false strip lashes would be the best way to go for the price and only needing them for the day/event.
Frequently Asked Questions About Lash Extensions Vs Falsies
Are Falsies Or Eyelash Extensions Better?
Falsies and eyelash extensions serve different purposes and are ideal for different situations.
Falsies are more affordable and user-friendly for a one-time event or occasional wear.
They are reusable, easy to apply and remove, and come in various styles to suit your desired look.
Eyelash extensions are a semi-permanent option lasting 4-6 weeks, making them more suited for everyday wear or special occasions like weddings or vacations.
They provide a more natural appearance and require less daily maintenance.
The better option depends on your budget, preferences, and lifestyle.
Do Eyelash Extensions Feel Different Than False Eyelashes?
Eyelash extensions may feel different than falsies due to the application process and materials used.
Falsies are applied on the lash line using adhesive and may feel lighter on your eyelids.
Eyelash extensions are individually glued to your natural lashes, which can make them more comfortable and feel like your own natural lashes.
Some people find them less comfortable when sleeping or rubbing their eyes due to how they are applied.
Is It Easier To Put On Eyelash Extensions Than False Eyelashes?
Application processes for eyelash extensions and false eyelashes are quite different.
False eyelashes can be applied by yourself in less than ten minutes, depending on your skill level.
A professional lash artist must apply eyelash extensions, which can take up to two hours.
In terms of ease of application, false eyelashes might be easier for those comfortable with self-application, but eyelash extensions guarantee a professional result.
Are Eyelash Extensions the Same as Fake Eyelashes?
Eyelash extensions and fake eyelashes are not the same.
Fake eyelashes, also known as “falsies,” are temporary strips or individual lashes that are applied using adhesive to the lash line. They can be removed and reused as desired.
Eyelash extensions are semi-permanent false lashes that are individually glued to your natural lashes by a professional for a more natural look and longer-lasting results. They remain on until they shed with your natural lashes.
While they both enhance your lashes, the application process, duration, and appearance of eyelash extensions and false eyelashes differ significantly.
Are Eyelash Extensions The Same As Fake Eyelashes?
No eyelash extensions are not the same as fake eyelashes. People refer to fake lashes and eyelash extensions as the same thing, but they aren’t.
False lashes are glued-down strips that are worn for a few hours or a day. Lash extension styles are customized to your eye shape and are semi-permanent, and can last from 4 to 6 weeks.
Can I Wear Falsies Over Eyelash Extensions?
You shouldn’t wear falsies over your lash extensions, which can seriously damage your extensions and natural lashes.
You can wear strip lashes over your eyelash extensions but is highly recommended not to do so.
Which Strip Lashes Look Like Eyelash Extensions?
There isn’t any strip lashes that resemble eyelash extensions.
This is due to the strip lashes being glued to the eyelid, which you can see upon inspection.
Eyelash extensions are glued individually to each eyelash and have a more natural look than strip lashes.
Is It Ok To Wear False Eyelashes Every Day?
No, it isn’t recommended to wear false eyelashes every day. Doing so can damage your natural lashes over time.
A good alternative, if you are looking to have your lashes look great every day is eyelash extensions from a reputable lash extensions artist.
As a certified lash and brow artist, I am passionate about helping others grow their lash and brow businesses, while educating consumers on the current trends.
So let me help you get the lash or brow business you’ve always wanted! We have a lot of great information on One Stop Lashes to help you.
Need more clients? Get your business listed with us, and we can help you get customers in your seat. I have 15 years of experience in the beauty industry and am certified in eyelash extensions, lash lifts, microblading, and lash and brow tints.
Being involved in the lash and brow industry, I have helped numerous businesses as a consultant helping lash artists grow their businesses and income.
In addition, I help my clients with a strategy to build the perfect lash business for long-term sustainable growth.