Lash lifts and eyelash extensions are two of the most popular treatments in the beauty industry, and they can transform your lashes from drab to fab.
But which one is right for you?
Let’s explore the differences between the two and help you make an informed decision.
Lash Lifts vs. Eyelash Extensions Let’s Go!
♥ Key Takeaways ♥
- Lash lifts offer a subtle enhancement of your natural lashes, while extensions provide a more dramatic look
- Lash lift and extension costs, duration, and aftercare requirements differ significantly
- Your desired outcome, budget, and lifestyle are key factors in choosing between the two treatments
Table of Contents - Click To
- Quick Rundown On Lash Lifts And Eyelash Extensions
- What The Finished Treatment Looks Like
- Comparing How Long Lash Lifts and Extensions Take
- Comparing How Long They Last
- The Cost Differences Between Lash Lifts and Eyelash Extensions
- Lash Lift vs Eyelash Extensions Aftercare
- Lash Lift Vs Lash Extension – Who’s The Winner?
- Pros and Cons Of Lash Lifts and Eyelash Extensions
- Frequently Asked Questions
Quick Rundown On Lash Lifts And Eyelash Extensions
Get a quick rundown on what lash lifts and lash extensions are and what to expect.
Lash Lift Quick Explanation
A lash lift is a semi-permanent treatment that enhances your natural lashes.
During the procedure, a technician will apply a lifting solution to your lashes, then curl and set them using a silicone rod.
The process typically takes about 45 minutes to an hour, and the results last for six to eight weeks.
You can expect your lashes to appear longer, fuller, and more lifted.
It’s essential to avoid getting your lashes wet or applying mascara for at least 24 hours after the treatment to maximize the results.
Lash Extensions Quick Explanation
Eyelash extensions involve attaching individual synthetic, silk, or mink fibers to your natural lashes to create a more dramatic and voluminous appearance.
The process can take anywhere from one to three hours, depending on the desired look and the expertise of the technician.
After the application, it’s crucial to avoid water, steam, and oil-based makeup products to maintain the adhesive’s bond.
Lash extensions typically require fills every two to three weeks, as they will shed along with your natural lash growth cycle.
Complete Comparison Chart To Compare Lash Lifts vs. Lash Extensions
|Aspect||Lash Lift||Lash Extensions|
|Procedure Time||45-60 minutes||1-3 hours|
|Maintenance||Minimal, lasts 6-8 weeks||Requires fills every 2-3 weeks|
|Cost||Lower, typically around $80-$130||Higher, ranging from $150-$500|
|Natural Lash Health||Less damaging, promotes natural lash growth||Can cause thinning and breakage with poor application and maintenance|
|Customization||Less customizable, limited to natural lash length||Highly customizable, choose length, curl, and thickness|
What The Finished Treatment Looks Like
Once your procedure is completed below is what you can expect from each treatment.
Lash Lifts What To Expect
With a lash lift, your natural lashes are gently curled and tinted to make them look longer and more voluminous.
This treatment typically lasts 6-8 weeks, depending on your lash growth cycle.
The process is relatively quick, taking about 45 minutes to an hour.
It requires minimal maintenance, allowing you to go about your daily routine without any fuss.
Lash Extensions What To Expect
Eyelash extensions involve attaching individual synthetic or natural lashes to each of your natural lashes with semi-permanent adhesive.
This procedure takes about 1.5 to 2 hours, while a fill is needed every 2-4 weeks to maintain the results.
Extensions provide dramatic volume and length to your lashes, giving a more glamorous look.
They require careful maintenance and may restrict your choice of makeup and eye care products.
Quick And Broad Comparison for Lash Extensions And Lash Lifts
- Treatment Time: Lash lifts are faster, taking about 45 minutes to an hour, while lash extensions can take up to 2 hours.
- Maintenance: Lash lifts require little maintenance, while eyelash extensions need refills every 2-4 weeks and careful aftercare.
- Cost: Lash lifts are generally less expensive than eyelash extensions; however, prices may vary depending on the salon and location.
- Natural Look: Lash lifts enhance your natural lashes, while lash extensions can be customized for either a subtle or dramatic look.
Comparing How Long Lash Lifts and Extensions Take
Before making a decision on which you prefer to use you might want to know how long each procedure takes. Below we outline the standard time it takes for a trusted lash technician to apply lash lifts and eyelash extensions.
Lash Lift Application Time
The process of getting a lash lift typically takes about 45 minutes to an hour.
Your lashes are cleaned and prepped, then a silicone shield is placed on your eyelid.
The lashes are then carefully glued onto the shield, and a lifting solution is applied.
After it sets for a few minutes, a setting solution is applied, followed by a nourishing oil to condition your lashes.
The whole process is generally painless, though you may feel a slight sensation when applying the solutions.
Lash Extensions Application Time
The time it takes to get eyelash extensions varies depending on the type and style you choose, as well as the skill of the lash technician.
A full set of lash extensions can take anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5 hours.
During this time, your lash technician will carefully attach individual extensions to each natural lash with a special adhesive.
It’s important to stay still and relaxed during the procedure.
Comparison On How Long It Takes For Application
In terms of time investment, lash lifts are generally quicker than lash extensions.
With both processes, it’s important to find a trained and certified technician to ensure proper application and minimize potential risks.
- Lash Lifts: 45 minutes to an hour
- Lash Extensions: 1.5 to 2.5 hours
Comparing How Long They Last
When comparing lash lifts vs eyelash extensions it is important to see how long they typically last.
Lash Lift Lasting Duration
A lash lift typically lasts 6 to 8 weeks.
The longevity of a lash lift depends on the natural growth cycle of your eyelashes and how well you care for them after the treatment.
Following the aftercare guidelines provided by your lash technician diligently can help prolong the life of your lash lift.
- Avoid wetting your lashes for 24 hours after the treatment
- Avoid using oil-based makeup removers or cleansers
- Comb your lashes daily with a clean mascara wand
Lash Extensions Lasting Duration
Lash extensions generally last 2 to 3 weeks before needing a fill.
As your natural lashes grow and shed, so do the extensions attached to them.
To maintain a full look, you will need regular touch-ups, or fills, every 2 to 3 weeks.
- Practice good hygiene by cleaning your extensions daily
- Avoid using oil-based eye products and waterproof mascara
- Sleep on your back or use a silk pillowcase to minimize friction
Durability Comparison Lash Extensions vs. Lash Lifts
When it comes to longevity, a lash lift has the advantage, as it lasts longer than lash extensions (6-8 weeks vs. 2-3 weeks).
The duration of a lash lift is dependent on your natural lash growth cycle and adherence to aftercare instructions.
Lash extensions require more maintenance in terms of touch-ups and aftercare, but they provide a more dramatic look compared to a lash lift.
The choice between a lash lift and lash extensions depends on your desired look, budget, and lifestyle.
The Cost Differences Between Lash Lifts and Eyelash Extensions
When comparing lash extensions and lash lifts cost is definitely important to consider. See the differences below.
Lash Lift Standard Costs
A lash lift typically costs between $60 and $150, depending on the salon and location.
This treatment takes around 45 minutes to an hour.
Keep in mind that the procedure is semi-permanent, meaning it will last about 6-8 weeks until your natural lashes grow out.
It’s important to factor in the cost of upkeep for a lash lift, including lash tinting and maintenance every 6-8 weeks.
If you wear mascara regularly, you may also want to consider the price of a good quality mascara suitable for use on lifted lashes.
Lash Extensions Standard Costs
Eyelash extension prices can vary significantly, depending on factors such as the salon, the materials used for the extensions, and the skill of the technician.
Lash extensions range from $100 to $300 for a full set, and they take between 1.5 to 3 hours to apply.
Maintenance is essential for lash extensions, as they must be refilled every 2-4 weeks to keep them looking their best.
Refill appointments typically cost between $50 and $100 and take around an hour.
In addition to refills, you should also expect to replace the extensions completely every 6-8 weeks.
Cost Comparisons Chart For Lash Lifts and Lash Extensions
When comparing the costs of lash lifts and lash extensions, you need to consider both the initial expense and the ongoing maintenance.
|Lash Lift||Lash Extensions|
|Initial Cost||$60 to $150||$100 to $300|
|Maintenance Cost||$30 to $80||$50 to $100|
|Frequency||Every 6-8 weeks||Every 2-4 weeks|
A lash lift generally has a lower initial cost than lash extensions, but you may need to invest in additional products, such as lash tints and mascara.
Lash extensions tend to be more expensive upfront but come with the advantage of not having to wear mascara.
Extensions require more frequent maintenance appointments and have a higher ongoing cost.
It ultimately depends on your lifestyle, preferences, and budget to determine which one is the right choice for you.
Lash Lift vs Eyelash Extensions Aftercare
See below for details on the differences between the aftercare for lash extensions and eyelash lifts.
Lash Lift Aftercare
After your lash lift, it’s essential to follow a few guidelines to maintain the results.
Gently cleanse your lashes daily using a mild, oil-free cleanser.
Avoid rubbing or pulling on your lashes, as this can cause damage. It’s also crucial to keep your lashes moisturized.
You can use a lash serum or a lash conditioner for this purpose.
Be sure to avoid using waterproof mascara, as it can be challenging to remove and may lead to premature lash loss.
It’s recommended to wait at least 24 hours after your lash lift before getting your lashes wet, exposing them to steam, or using makeup.
Using a spoolie brush to groom your lashes daily will help keep them looking their best.
Lash Extensions Aftercare
Caring for your lash extensions involves some specific steps to keep them looking fantastic.
Avoid getting your lashes wet for the first 24 to 48 hours after application. This allows the adhesive to properly set.
When showering or washing your face, try to avoid getting water directly on your extensions.
Avoid exposing your lashes to steam.
Use an oil-free makeup remover and cleanser when cleaning your face.
Oils can break down the adhesive and cause your extensions to fall out prematurely.
Gently brush through your extensions with a spoolie brush each day to keep them looking neat and tangle-free.
Avoid using mascara on your extensions, as it can weigh them down and make them clump together.
Use a water-based eyeliner if needed.
Lash Extensions vs. Lash Lift How They Compare
Both lash lifts and extensions require proper aftercare to maintain their appearance and longevity.
Some key differences might make one option more suitable for you:
- Lash lift aftercare is generally less strict than extensions. You can use makeup after 24 hours and are less restricted in product options.
- With extensions, you must be more cautious when getting your lashes wet and exposing them to steam to maintain the adhesive’s integrity.
- Lash extensions require more attention to cleansing and grooming to prevent tangling and premature shedding.
Be mindful of the aftercare instructions for the lash treatment you choose.
Proper aftercare is essential for maintaining stunning results and protecting your natural lashes.
Lash Lift Vs Lash Extension – Who’s The Winner?
When comparing lash lifts and eyelash extensions, it’s essential to understand their key differences.
Lash Lifts work best for those who already have long lashes but need a lift and curl.
The process uses a chemical solution and takes about 45-60 minutes to complete.
The results typically last 6-8 weeks, and you can use mascara to further enhance the appearance of your lashes.
Eyelash Extensions cater to individuals looking for more dramatic and fuller lashes.
The application process takes 2-3 hours and involves attaching individual hairs to your natural lashes.
Extensions can last up to 6-8 weeks with proper care and maintenance.
The use of mascara is not recommended as it can damage the extensions.
In deciding which treatment is best for you, consider your goals:
- Natural Look: If you prefer a natural look and have long lashes, a lash lift may better suit your needs. This option enhances your natural eyelashes and saves time on daily makeup routines.
- Fuller and Longer Lashes: If you desire dramatic volume and length, eyelash extensions are your best choice. They provide instant thickness and can be customized to your desired style.
Cost is another factor to consider. Lash lifts are generally more affordable than extensions.
The investment in eyelash extensions may be worthwhile if you want a more noticeable transformation.
Pros and Cons Of Lash Lifts and Eyelash Extensions
When considering enhancing your eyelashes, you may be torn between lash lifts and eyelash extensions.
In this section, we will discuss the pros and cons of both options to help you make an informed decision.
- Natural: Lash lifts utilize your own lashes, resulting in a natural-looking outcome. They simply enhance your existing lashes by giving them a lift, curl, and slight tint.
- Low maintenance: Once you have a lash lift done, you’ll enjoy the results for 6-8 weeks without much upkeep. Daily mascara and curler use is optional.
- Cost-effective: Generally, lash lifts are more affordable than eyelash extensions and require less frequent touch-ups.
- Less dramatic: If you’re looking for a more dramatic effect, lash lifts may not be for you. They enhance your natural lashes but do not add volume or length.
- Customizable: Eyelash extensions come in various lengths, thicknesses, and curl types. This allows you to tailor the look to your preferences, whether you desire a subtle enhancement or a dramatic effect.
- Instant results: Unlike lash lifts, which take a few days for the full effect to settle, eyelash extensions provide an immediate transformation.
- High maintenance: Eyelash extensions require regular upkeep. You’ll need to schedule infill appointments every 2-4 weeks to maintain the look. Additionally, caring for extensions involves keeping them clean and avoiding certain activities, like swimming or using oil-based makeup.
- Cost: The initial investment for eyelash extensions is typically higher than lash lifts. Moreover, the cost of maintenance can add up over time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are There Any Side Effects to Each Treatment?
For Lash Lifts, side effects are minimal and rare.
You may experience slight irritation or redness immediately after the treatment, but these symptoms typically subside within a few hours.
Remember to follow the aftercare instructions given to you by your technician to prevent any issues.
Eyelash Extensions, on the other hand, have a higher likelihood of side effects.
These can include itching, redness, and swelling around the eyelids.
Some people may even develop an allergy to the adhesive used, causing more severe reactions.
If you experience any of these symptoms, contact your technician immediately.
Can Makeup Be Applied After Each Treatment?
For a Lash Lift, it’s recommended to avoid applying makeup, specifically mascara, for 24 hours after the treatment.
This gives your lashes enough time to set in their new shape.
After the initial 24 hours, you can wear makeup as usual.
With Eyelash Extensions, you need to be more cautious.
Avoid applying water-based or oil-based makeup products around your eyes, as these can weaken the adhesive bond.
Opt for extension-safe mascaras and eyeliners, and avoid using makeup removers containing oil.
Which Option Provides More Natural-looking Results?
If you’re seeking a more natural look, a Lash Lift might be the better option for you.
Lash Lifts enhance your natural lashes by lifting and curling them, giving your eyes a brighter and more open appearance while maintaining a subtle look.
Eyelash Extensions, though customizable, tend to look more dramatic.
You can choose the length, curl, and thickness of the extensions to achieve your desired look, but they will always be more noticeable than a simple Lash Lift.
As a certified lash and brow artist, I am passionate about helping others grow their lash and brow businesses, while educating consumers on the current trends.
So let me help you get the lash or brow business you’ve always wanted! We have a lot of great information on One Stop Lashes to help you.
Need more clients? Get your business listed with us, and we can help you get customers in your seat. I have 15 years of experience in the beauty industry and am certified in eyelash extensions, lash lifts, microblading, and lash and brow tints.
Being involved in the lash and brow industry, I have helped numerous businesses as a consultant helping lash artists grow their businesses and income.
In addition, I help my clients with a strategy to build the perfect lash business for long-term sustainable growth.